Monday, June 23, 2008

She Spoke

I am on a plane headed home after the She Speaks Conference. Technology is amazing! I can't believe I am flying across the country typing out my blog post. Talk about a way to make time fly! Don't be alarmed by the date of the post because most likely I won't be able to actually post this until tomorrow (Monday).

The weekend had highs and lows as well as both laughter and tears. I'm not sure what my expectations were except that I wanted to learn, absorb everything from these amazing women, meet new people and most importantly I wanted to hear from God. I had heard this was a life changing event and I was ready to experience something life changing.

The first night was discouraging. My last session of the night was taught by a literary agent who vividly described the harsh realities of the publishing world. Although he sprinkled in some hope here and there, his message was bleak. I appreciate his honesty, but it was discouraging. After the discouraging words of the literary agent, I turned my hope to meeting and connecting with my roommate. I had imagined us connecting through the gazillion things we had in common and of course becoming forever friends. When I went to my room that first night I had not yet met my roommate. I had scanned the conference looking for name tags carrying her name but had not found her. When I reached my room she was ready for bed. We said our introductory hellos and both turned in for the night. I was discouraged to say the least. There would be no all night bonding session talking through all the things we had in common. I knelt beside the bed as tears streamed down my face and silently cried out to the Lord. Why am I here? I had felt so led to attend this conference, had I misinterpreted? I wondered if I had made a huge mistake.

Saturday morning was brighter. My roommate and I chatted as we readied ourselves for the day. Although we didn't have a lot in common, we shared good conversation. We had a wonderful breakfast together and I felt the heaviness of discouragement melt away. Encouragement shined on the day. I learned more than I ever imagined possible. The writing sessions were all rich with information, advice and most of all, hope.

Unfortunately I struggled with a headache both Friday and Saturday. The employees in the gift shop had to wonder why I kept purchasing more medicine! I tried Sudafed, DayQuill and finally Excedrin Sinus Headache took the pain away! On Saturday night, the amazing day of absorbing everything I could, was capped off by one of the most powerful messages I think I have ever heard. Renee Swope gave the message entitled "Beyond the Shadow of Doubt". Her words spoke straight to my heart. I struggle with doubt and that is exactly what Friday had been about....doubt! God did lead me here, God does have a plan and I am humbled to be a part of it. God can do the impossible if I'll just surrender to His will! The evening concluded with an invitation to come bear our struggles at the cross. As I stood there during the invitation time, my eyes wandered across the room. I saw women hugging and loving on each other; crying together and praying together. I longed to reach out to someone, but that is just not my personality. I stood there wondering why I can't connect. It seems that some women are so comfortable with strangers. They can instantly bond and share an intimate connection so quickly. I can not. God didn't make me that way. I stood there hoping someone would come up to me, but they didn't. I had met a lot of special women including many of the great bloggers I read on a daily basis, but this evening concluded with just me and my Lord...connecting with Him. The weekend was a roller coaster of emotion.

Sunday morning was awesome. The message again spoke directly to my heart, and the service ended with us sharing communion together. God's presence was undeniable and my heart was once again flooded with emotion. One of my favorite things was the promises we each picked up at the cross. The Proverbs 31 team had put specific scriptural promises on cards and laid them at the foot of wooden crosses. I picked mine up on Sunday morning and believe that this specific verse was given to me by God. I left the conference encouraged, strengthened and excited about the future.

Thank you to all the wonderful women at Proverbs 31 Ministries. She Speaks is an amazing thing!

10 comments:

Kelley said...

Krista,
I wish I had seen you Saturday night, I would have given you a big old hug! I feel like I have bonded with you even though we barely know one another. The feelings of discouragement and the roller coaster of emotions you describe are so familiar to me. I felt the same way. It was an emotionally exhausting weekend for me. I am glad we live close enough to be friends in real life as well as in blog land and I am glad you were there this weekend. I enjoyed seeing the familiar face even if we didn't get any time together! Lets make a point of getting together soon!!!

Love,
Kelley

Paula V said...

Krista, I felt myself glued to the screen as I read this post. I literally had my elbow on the desk, and chin in my hand. I was pulled into your pain and your deep desire of wanting to bond. I felt myself actually being in your room and seeing what you felt. I wondered if I would've been like you...unable to bond but envying the bonds being so quickly made. I don't know. Maybe I'll find out next year.

Try not to be hard on yourself. God will use this now and who knows how He'll use it as you continue to reflect on the events of this weekend.

Praise God that we are never alone no matter how much it feels like it. We always have Jesus with us.
Love,
Paula

Mrs.Naz@BecomingMe said...

Ohhh, I am sorry there was a rough start but am glad there were blessings sprinkled in as well.

Sheryl said...

So glad God blessed you. I could hear the pain in your post and I must say that you were probably not the only one in the room that night wishing someone would approach them. When you go back next year (ha) you can start passin' out the hugs.

-Sheyrl

Starr LaPradd said...

What a beautiful post!! I tell ya, I felt the same way this past weekend. I came with two friends, but we were not together all the time, (took different tracks) and it was hard. It is not my nature either to approach strangers and begin a conversation. I tried really hard, though. I went WAY out of my comfort zone. It paid off, I made some new friends that I think will be eternal. I wish I could have gotten to know you much better. We exchanged cards, but never really got to bond. Sounds like we have a tremendous amout in common. We'll just have to bond through Cyber Space!
Blessings,
Starr LaPradd

Jenny said...

Krista,

I think many of us felt that way! I tend to talk ALOT when I feel out of sorts so my roommate Saturday night was thinking...please go to sleep!

I'm glad I got to met you in person and I look forward to getting to know you more!

Jen

Aunt Angie said...

Krista--I am glad to have met you and HOPE that the Lord will cross our lives again---either through blogging, writing or in LIFE! AS we know it! Aimee (my sister) also felt some discouragement after our meetings with the editors, but feel with all our hearts that God is up to something...and we fully want to participate!
Lift up your head and heart dear one, He has His hand on your life---guiding, directing, and loving you every step of the way!

Implanted Word Ministry said...

Krista,

I enjoyed meeting you, and wished I could have connected more with you on Saturday. I was feeling much the same. Thankfully the Lord will use all we experienced to grow our character to fit His calling. I look forward to getting to know you more over the next months as I read your blog.

Heather

Anonymous said...

Krista,

I felt your words as I read. While at the conference, I was "in my element" though at times, I felt like a fish out of water. How in the world could I be both extremes???

One of the frustrating things, which sounds a bit silly, is I forgot to pick up my promise; oh, how I wish I knew what I was missing, ya know?

My prayer throughout the weekend was to "see" the women who might feel the way you did; my nervousness allows me to reach out, and most people read that as very un-shy. It's just my way of compensating, though...I'm still scared on the inside.

I'm looking for your email address but can't find one; if you're able, can you reply to my comment so I can add it to a writing opportunity I wanted to pass along to those at SheSpeaks?

Thanks...and blessings to you :).

Robin
pensieve(dot)love(at)gmail(dot)come

Lisa B @ simply His said...

Hey Krista,

To tell you the truth, I don't remember if we ran into each other at the conference or not -- probably not as it sounds like both of us were in the same position. I felt out of sorts. I had met a few bloggers at a lunch that Friday, and only because Robin was so gracious and easy to talk to -- I tried to stay attached to her all weekend :)

I wasn't in the session Saturday, and I wish I had been now. I didn't pick up a promise, and possibly I might have been the one to come up to you and hug your neck. I guess we never realize who else we might have blessed if we'd been listening to God.

I look forward to reading your blog more and getting to know you. And then when we all show up at She Speaks next year, we'll have even more friends and more connections :)