Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Embarking on An Adventure...She Speaks

I can hardly believe that the She Speaks conference is in just a few days. Over the past few months since I registered for the conference I have been filled with such excitement. I have read many blogs from past attendees and the sentiment seems the same...."this is a life changing event". I am ready for something life changing!

Before this past February I had never heard of the She Speaks conference or Proverbs 31 Ministries. One of my resolutions for the new year was to start writing. Friends encouraged me to start writing a blog to strengthen my writing skills. In addition to starting a blog, I believed God had given me an idea for a book. Of course, I didn't know the first thing about writing a book, so I picked up some of the books from my shelves and studied how they were put together.

I picked up one of my many "single" books. I own almost every book written on the subject of singleness..books with titles like Single and Sassy, Single and Satisfied, If Singleness is a gift, what is the return policy and my favorite, titled I've kissed a lot of frogs but my Prince still hasn't come. I looked at how the writer arranged the table of contents, the number of chapters and the total number of pages in the book. On the back cover of one of the books was an endorsement by an author named Lysa Terkeurst. I wondered about this person name Lysa. Who was she? What had she written? So I did what I do....I googled her! The google search introduced me to Lysa, the Proverbs 31 Ministries and Lysa's blog. I started reading Lysa's blog every day. Through her blog Lysa mentioned the upcoming registration for the She Speaks conference, but I didn't think much of it at the time. But, then it seemed She Speaks kept popping up everywhere! I began praying about attending and here I am just a few days before I pack my writing dreams and fly to North Carolina.

But as the time nears for this life changing event, my excitement has been tempered with fear. My mind has been filled with whispers of doubt. Who am I to attend a writers conference? Do I really think God can use my writing? And then just as my fears started to settle in and stay for a while God sent a new friend and an email.

The email was from someone on the Proverbs 31 team about her first She Speaks conference and how her excitement had turned to fear. This email was written for me! This woman doesn't know me, yet she felt God leading her to share her experience. The email was truly a God send! In addition to the email, God sent a friend. I have met a wonderful woman named Kelley from my home town who is also attending the conference. We met for lunch yesterday and now I can no longer say I don't know anyone! Be sure to visit her blog!

Me and my new friend!

4 comments:

Paula V said...

Isn't just wonderful how He does work in our lives. We as humans can get so spastic about things but when we look back we see His wonderful Hand. It is clearly shown through this one posting of yours...how He led you to inquire about writing and just "happening" to see a book with Lysa's name...and on and on...He orchestrated down to you blogging, attending She Speaks, and even to meeting Kelley. I have been visiting Kelley's blog since I entered blog land in April. I too had never heard of She Speaks. I have been receiving the Proverbs 31 devo since last fall but I never click on the site as the devo was sent via Christianity.com I now am very envious of those attending She Speaks. I wish I had known about it but all in God's plan. I would love to further my writing and dig deeper into women's ministry. I so admire women like Beth Moore and Lysa...founders of such huge and amazing women's ministries. I know it is so wrong to envy others but I aspire to do such great work for our Lord. I will remember She Speaks next February and try to attend next June to see if there really is anything to this dream of mine to write. I would love to see my blog postings turned into a published devotional...thus the reason for the copyright warning on the side.

I've made your blog one of my favorites...I think I'm up to about 25 now...ugg...hard to keep up with.

Blessings,
Paula
Do not fear!

Kristen said...

Where Satan tried to introduce fear. God said NO WAY and brought you Kelley!

I am so excited for the two of you!
Enjoy what God has in store for you this weekend! Can't wait to read what blessings He pours over you!

Anonymous said...

Hey :),

Lisa B. and I are just trying to get word out for an impromptu Blogger's lunch on Friday. Please...join us if you can!

Blogger's Lunch 11:30 am
Chili's Grill & Bar
1365 Concord Pkwy N
Concord, NC
Exit 58 off I85
Phone: (704) 721-3859

(I didn't see an email, so I'm posting this in comments :) If you can come, please let one of us know! :)).

Robin @
http://pensieve.typepad.com/pensieve/

and Lisa @
http://www.simplyhisblogger.com/

Starr LaPradd said...

Hi! I am so glad I got to meet you at She Speaks. Your blog is great! I really have enjoyed reading your posts. I feel so inspired, Don't you? I also felt so intimidated and unworthy to attend this weekend, But God led me to just the right people and showed me that my fear was unfounded. Keep writing! I will be visiting your blog often! Talk to ya soon,
Blessings,
Starr LaPradd