Thursday, June 26, 2008

Teachable Moments

This morning before Hannah and I left the house, I read Lisa T's blog. She wrote about how she challenged her kids to come up with 7 life lessons from the movie Kung Fu Panda. I wish I had thought of that idea! What a great way to tie even a secular movie back to our daily walk with God. Well, I'm certainly not above borrowing a great idea! Hannah saw Kung Fu Panda earlier this week with her grandma and cousins. Life lessons here we come!

As Hannah and I drove off this morning I asked her to think of some life lessons from the movie. I haven't actually seen this movie so I was completely in the dark, but I thought it would be a good challenge none the less. Hannah quickly came up with several life lessons. One of her lessons was "don't think you are a wimp, think you are a warrior". This statement made me think of David. I talked with Hannah about how God used an ordinary shepherd boy to bring down a giant. Apparently this is much like how Po the Panda was used in the movie. Po saved the townspeople from the evil leopard! Hannah knows the story of David and Goliath well so she was finishing my sentences for me! I explained that David knew he was one of God's warriors and with God's strength he could defeat Goliath. I asked her if she thought God could use an ordinary girl like Hannah to do great things for His kingdom. She, of course, said yes! This conversation was short and sweet, but an ordinary moment was transformed into a teachable moment to bring God's word to her life in a meaningful way. This was an awesome way to start the day!

Deuteronomy 6: 6-9 These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates.

1 comment:

Starr LaPradd said...

My 6 year old is at the beach with my mom and dad and they took him to see that movie. I asked mom about it and told her what Lysa had mentioned. Mom said it did have a ton of life lessons and she had already discussed them with my little one! I am glad she thought to do that. Can't wait to see that movie myself! Enjoyed your post.
Love,
Starr