Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Snow Day

I am not a morning person. I like to sleep, but as a single mom with a full time career, mornings seem to come early. Most mornings, after the alarm has gone off and I have hit snooze, I lay in bed silently lifting up praises to God for giving us this day. Today was an extra special day as I woke up to snow, ice and no school. The alarm went off and I quietly went to the computer. Ah, yes an email from the school district: NO SCHOOL DUE TO INCLEMENT WEATHER. I emailed work letting people know I would be taking a day off to stay home with my daughter and went back to bed. Sleep! As I drifted back to sleep I thanked the Lord for this special snow day!

On days like today I like to pretend I am June Cleaver or Donna Reed (I realize my age is now obvious, and many people may not know who these women are. For those too young, June and Donna were perfect television moms from shows way before you were born). I have such a desire to have a warm, inviting home that smells likes something wonderful is baking in the oven. Most of the time our home feels more like a pit stop from all the activity or possibly like a hotel meant just for sleeping. But today, we were home all day. I cleaned house, cleaned out some drawers and closets, chatted on the phone with a neighbor, made a lunch that consisted of several necessary food groups, and fixed a wonderful dinner that was on the table shortly after 5:00. Short of vacuuming in my Sunday dress, heels and pearls, I would say I came pretty close to good ol' June Cleaver. Hannah even had some friends come over to play (which is how I was able to clean out drawers and closets).

Before I was a mom, I envisioned myself reading books, helping with homework, gently teaching God's word in a meaningful way each day, all while serving wholesome snack foods. Funny how our vision is usually far from reality. I certainly never pictured myself a single mom just trying to keep my head above water. As for helping with homework, well, I always knew there would come a day when I wouldn't be much help with math, but who knew it would be as early as the 4th grade! But today, this very special snow day, our home felt nearly perfect....a haven filled with love, laughter and good smells!

Joshua 24:15 As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.

1 comment:

Dave Van said...

See Jo Van comment on first article!