Monday, February 11, 2008

History Lesson

American Girls are big in our household. My daughter has several American Girl dolls and almost all the books. Both Hannah and I love the American Girls and their stories. I have been amazed at how much American history I have learned by reading the American Girl books.

Through the stories of Felicity Merriman I have learned that there were loyalists and patriots. Felicity was nine years old in 1774 as our country was at its inception. I think I assumed everyone was for the independence of our country, but that was not the case. Many of the colonists were very loyal to the king and did not approve of the movement toward independence. Through Kit Kittredge, from 1934, I have learned about life during the depression and how families learned to cope with the economic situation of their time. Molly McIntire, in 1944, has taught be much about WWII, and Samantha Parkington from 1904, has taught me about the working conditions in the factories at the turn of the century. I have truly enjoyed learning more about American history through these American Girls.

I did not think, however, I would learn anything about American history from the latest American Girl, Julie. Julie is from my time. What could I possibly learn from her stories...I lived it. Julie is nine years old in 1974. I was nine years old in 1974. "Julie's Journey" takes place in the summer of 1976, the year of America's Bicentennial. I learned that there was a covered wagon train that traveled from the west to the east. Each state had a wagon that toured around the state passing out re-dedication scrolls. The wagons left at different times, meeting up with each other along the way. They journeyed across the country just like the pioneers had done. The end destination was Valley Forge. The re-dedication scrolls were given to President Ford on July 4th 1976 at Valley Forge. I don't remember hearing about any of this! I remember celebrating the Bicentennial, but I do not remember any covered wagons or any re-dedication scrolls. Does anyone else remember this event?

I am concerned that such a historical event took place in my lifetime and I am totally oblivious. But, then I guess I shouldn't be too hard on my self. In 1976 I was 11. I probably didn't watch a lot of news programming and information wasn't as accessible as it is today. Still, it is bothersome. You would think we would have learned about this great wagon train in school! Thank goodness for American Girl books!

2 comments:

Dave Van said...

I think we were all just a bit too busy to remember the Wagon Trains of 1976. Personally, I was trying to raise a "strong willed" 11 year old.
You can get some info on the Wagon Trains at http://www.svkoa.net/1976.html

Dave Van said...

Wagon Trains