Tuesday, February 5, 2008

A New Glaxay of Communication

Here it is; my very first blog entry. I am not a very tech-savvy person and therefore I tend to shy away from most types of new technology. My 10 year old daughter often assists me in working all things electronic. Recently there was a strange icon on my cell phone and after searching frantically for the user manual, my daughter informed me it was the calendar icon she had activated. My phone has a calendar...who knew!

But as scary and daunting as new technology can be, I am fascinated with the changing ways we communicate. Although I wouldn't call myself an early adopter, I am quite taken in with the whole new social networking arena. I love my myspace page! I have had a blast reconnecting with several friends from high school and college. About a year ago, I started reading some blogs and was instantly amazed at how connected I felt to people I didn't even know. It all started with a blog a friend of mine shared with me. It was a blog by a local woman chronicling her battle with cancer. By the time I started reading the blog, she had passed away and her husband was keeping everyone informed on his state of mind, their two small children and life after the death of a loved one. I felt like I knew this family, but yet I had never met them and most likely never will. Through this blog, I was changed, and that in and of itself was amazing.

Since then I have browsed through many other blogs. Some have very defined purposes such as the aforementioned blog, yet others are nothing more than a personal diary on public display. I have both laughed and cried at the stories found in blogs, but always left the blog feeling somehow connected to someone...someone I don't even know. I like this idea of connectedness. God created us for relationship. First is our relationship with Him, and then relationships with others. We have a God given need to feel connected, loved and a sense of belonging. I found it strange that some of that need was met by reading the thoughts, stories, ups and downs of others in this new fangled thing called a blog. I don't have a defined purpose for this blog right now, but I'm curious to see where it might take me....who it might connect me with...and how God may choose to use it.

3 comments:

Dave Van said...

Congratulations! You done good, baby. Perhaps you and the Apostle John may have the same purpose:
1Jo 1:4 And these things write we unto you, that your joy may be full.
Do you think that with all the electronic gadgetry, e-mail, text messaging, blogging, etc, etc, that real live conversations may come to an end?

Dad

Jennifer said...

You did it!! I look forward to reading future entries. Thanks for sharing.

Jo Van said...

Krista, I really enjoyed reading your Snow Day blog. I sensed you experienced joy and contentment in staying home with Hannah. It is the small things in life that really bring us the most happiness. I think you have turned into June Cleaver!! I'm still praying God will send you a Ward Cleaver. Love, Mom