Thursday, February 7, 2008

Dance Dance Baby

Last night Hannah had dance class. She takes ballet as well as a hip hop competition class. This is her first year to be on a competition team and she is the youngest in this class. I have been somewhat fearful all year that she might be swallowed whole by the older girls in the class. The ages range from 10-17 and most of the girls are in junior high or high school. They are all older, wiser in the ways of the world, and seem to have more hip hop dance experience. My little 4th grader seems so small and innocent. But last night it became clear. Watch out baby, my girl can dance! She can hold her own with these other dancers and she is not fearful at all! The dance teacher gave her a very special part in the dance and wow, Hannah rocked it!

As I stood there watching her perform, my heart was flooded with all the hopes and dreams I have for her. I would love to see her become a famous entertainer of some sort because that was my dream...a dream that didn't come true. But I have no plans to live vicariously through my daughter. I want her dreams to come true, whatever they may be. But my hopes and dreams for her are so much more than an occupation. I hope she knows love. I want her to love and to be loved. I hope she makes good choices and doesn't have to suffer the consequences of bad choices. I hope she has a thirst and fire for life that is never tempered by the harsh realities of the world. I hope she will always have a sense of innocence and wonder. I hope all the things listed in Lee Ann Womack's song "I hope you dance". But most of all, I hope her faith in Jesus Christ grows daily and that she will love Him and choose to serve Him. I pray that His word will be a lamp to her feet and a light to her path (Psalm 119:105).

As a single mom, I fear that I am not enough. Can I "train her up in the way she should go"? Between laundry, school activities, homework, full time career and the ongoing list of life's demands...can a single parent do it? Certainly single parenting isn't God's design. My heart can become overwhelmed with the fears that encompass single parenting. I find much comfort in Peter. Peter walked on water, did the impossible when he had his focus totally on Christ. When his focus waned, he sank. So it is for the single parent. We can do the impossible, if our focus is on Christ. I cling to His promise, that He will never leave me nor forsake me (Deut. 31). I don't want to let fear get in the way of experiencing the joys of parenting, because in the midst of it all, there comes rare, wonderful moments like watching your daughter totally rock it!

4 comments:

Jo Van said...

Wow!! I was so touched by your post about Hannah's dance. It brought tears to my eyes. I wish I could have been there. You are such a good mom! Love, Your Mom

Jo Van said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dave Van said...

Now if Hannah can just get Church right and sing " He is Exalted" instead of "He is Exhausted" she'll be on her way.

DKV said...

Very nice note! I am so proud of Hannah!