Tuesday, January 6, 2009

A for Accomplishments

Finally, I'm giving myself an A...an "A" for accomplishing many of the tasks I had carefully placed on my need-to-get-it done list. Every year it seems I waste away my week of vacation between Christmas and New Year's. But not this year! This year I did not just sleep the whole week away, or even just laze away in front of the television (although I did watch a lot of movies). But, before I toot my own horn too loudly I should probably mention that I didn't get everything on my list accomplished, but then that would be perfection and well, we all know I'm far from perfect!

I had hoped to chronicle my accomplishments as they were achieved, but well...again more imperfection! So I'm here now telling all that will hear about the week that got an "A".

Accomplishment #1: Christmas Coming Down
After all the time and energy that is spent turning our home into a Christmas wonderland it always seems somewhat sad to take the decorations down. Around Halloween I start getting visions in my head....not of sugar plums but of a beautifully decorated mantle, a fully trimmed tree, a staircase donned with garland and bows and even special Christmas towels in the bathroom. I love my house decked out in all it's Christmas attire. But sadly the time had come to take the things of Christmas down and pack them away for another year. Accomplished!

Accomplishment #2: Sassy New Look
I am a spur-of-the-moment kind of gal. When I decide I want my hair cut, well, I want my hair cut right then. I don't like to make hair appointments, I just want to show up whenever the mood strikes for a new "do". But that usually doesn't work because apparently hairstylists aren't just waiting for me to show up with my new hair mood! So, this week I actually made an appointment to get a sassy new hair cut and color. Best hair experience of my life! I went to someone new....someone who was referred to me....someone I was a bit apprehensive about...but WOW, what an incredible experience. Let me just say HEAD MASSAGE!! I have never experienced anything quite like this at the beauty salon and you can bet I'll be coming back again!

Accomplishment #3: A Newly Organized Kitchen
What is it about the start to a new year that brings out the need to organize? It can't be just me that feels this overwhelming desire to clean out drawers and cabinets because the stores all have containers big and small as well as organizational stuff out front and center. I completely re-organized my kitchen. It feels like moving into a new home. I even moved our silverware to a new drawer, which is taking some getting used to!!

Accomplishment #4: Fun Stuff
I sprinkled my week of accomplishment with a little fun here and there. I spent some time with friends, saw a movie and watched lots of DVDs. I think I watched 6 or 7 movies! In the theater I saw The Curious Case of Benjamin Button with Brad Pitt. Who doesn't love a good Brad Pitt flick! But, it was way too long and at times a bit boring. It was the movie that wouldn't start and the movie that wouldn't end! We were sitting in the theater waiting for the movie to begin, but nothing happened. The time for the movie to start had ticked by and still nothing. Finally some people went inquiring and apparently there were some technical difficulties. It finally started almost 30 minutes late and then it lasted for nearly 3 hours! And then I lost my coat....oh my this is probably a story worthy of its own post so I will leave it at that. I did eventually find my coat!

Now my week that gets an "A" is done and I'm back at work. Life is once again in full motion. The week was indeed a success, now if I can just remember where I put the silverware!

No comments: