Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Boyfriends Already?

Earlier in the school year, my 10 year old daughter informed me she had a boyfriend. She was "going out" with a little boy named Tyler. When she told me about said boyfriend, I was able to maintain a nice, simple smile, while my mind raced with wild visions of boys, fast cars, skating rinks, and drive-in movies. It's just 5th grade, I told myself. And I repeated to myself one of my dad's famous lines "keep things in proper perspective". I asked Hannah what exactly does "going out" mean? "Mommmm" she said in a very sarcastic tone, "it doesn't mean anything except we like each other." Oh, I see.

And then I did me some major praying...and thinking...and praying some more. I certainly didn't want to over-react so I decided to let it go. I talked with Hannah about how she should keep it in proper perspective as well as a lot of boy-girl do's and dont's! I don't know a lot about Tyler, but he seems to be a nice boy. For their 2-month anniversary, yes I said 2 month anniversary, Tyler gave Hannah a really nice handmade card. He made it himself! Wow! This little 5th grader needs to be talking to some of the 40 somethings I know. He seems to know how to treat a girl! He must have a fantastic mom!

Then came the break-up. I was out of town for work and I called home to check on Hannah. She tells me that another little boy wants to be her boyfriend and she asked me if she should break up with Tyler and "go out" with the other boy. Double wowie, I can't believe I am having this conversation with my 10 year old daughter!! I carefully explained this is just 5th grade and she will most likely have many boys who like her before she finds the special one God has hand-picked for her. But, my advice was not to break up with Tyler if she liked him. Well, apparently Tyler had heard through the recess rumor mill that Hannah was considering a different boyfriend. So he broke up with her. I didn't really blame him. After all he had been a good boyfriend, as far as 5th grade boyfriends go, and she was at least considering dumping him like yesterday's school lunch. Secretly I was relieved. We have enough on our plate than to have to deal with boys....good grief, I thought I at least had until she was in high school!

She was heart broken. To make matters worse Tyler found himself a new girlfriend. Hannah had to watch them talk to each other and sit by each other at lunch (with 4 people in between, you don't actually sit right next to them!). She was sad and had a whole new understanding for mom and dating! I have to admit I was sad for her. I could tell her heart was broken. Last week she announced that she and Tyler are back together. Have mercy!! I hope I make it through her teenage years!

1 comment:

Paula V said...

Girl, you crack me up with this. It takes me back to those days of how our perspective is so different. The things they do and what is meant in the "dating" word at that age. Wow...break up and back together circle already. Hold on, momma...just keep guiding her. I think this was a good lesson about our choices...how she consider dumping him like a hot potatoe and he came back to hurt her.

You'll make it. She'll make it with your wonderful guidance. You're a great mom from what I can tell by what you share.
Sweet blessings,
Paula