Sunday, August 3, 2008

Don't Call Me Charlie

As an impressionable young girl I remember watching a television commercial for the perfume Charlie by Revlon. The "Charlie Woman" was empowered! She could "bring home the bacon, fry it in a pan and never never let him forget he was the man". My advertising brain loves that commercial. Revlon was revolutionary in their marketing to women by giving them power. But as a woman, I LOATHE that commercial!

This weekend I have spent almost every moment in my house...scrubbing, sweeping, sweating. Lots of sweating! Although I've known this for quite some time, this weekend just solidified the fact that a "Charlie" woman I am not! I don't do it all very well!

But oh how I want to do it all, as that silly commercial from the 70's plays in my head. I can't remember the last time I fried bacon, but this weekend I threw away some nasty gone bad asparagus! The whole refrigerator stunk! Who knew asparagus could smell like that! I cleaned my daughter's bed room and threw away 5 filled-to-the brim trash bags. I have been traveling for the past three trash days...the trash people are gonna love me this week!

If I could create the "Charlie Woman" she would still bring home the bacon, but there would be enough bacon to hire a cook, cleaner, lawn service, handyman, homework tutor...

I should stop praying for a husband, I think what I need is a wife!

Thanks to my dad for the cartoon below depicting my single mom life. Charlie I ain't!

2 comments:

Dave Van said...

Hannah was the first to view the finished cartoon. Her words to me, ..."that doesn’t look like me and my mama can’t cook!" I feel your pain...that is... as your handyman, repairman, electrician and plumber.

Jacque said...

I remember those days when that cartoon could have been me!! Even though I wasn't a single parent, I often felt like my husband was just one extra kid!! As a mom who has now entered the "Empty Nest" chapter of my life I can tell you that you MIGHT actually miss some of that craziness someday!! Enjoyed reading your blog...I'm glad that dad passed it on to me!