Monday, July 28, 2008

Memorizing Monday

This Week's Memory Verse:
Philippians 4:11 I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.

Over the weekend I found myself having a little pity party of sorts. My daughter is gone for three weeks and loneliness has set in a little. Why hasn't God brought a man, a partner, a help mate into my life? I have questioned this all weekend. I picked up a magazine late one night and read the statement "God won't bring singles someone to marry until they learn to be content in their circumstances."Wow! Was God talking directly to me or what! Paul didn't say God gave him contentment. He said he "learned" to be content.

I think about the word learn and it brings several images to my mind. I think of a child learning to walk and how they stumble and fall numerous times before they finally have the whole walking thing down pat. I think about learning a hard subject like math or science and how without a calculator I would be lost! Learning is not always easy and although I pray for contentment God is telling me through Paul's letter that I am to "learn" to be content. Well, wonderful! In fact, Paul felt so strongly about using the word "learn" that he turned around and used it again in the next verse "I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. (Philippians 4:12) Wait! Did Paul say there was a secret? Ah ha! Paul knows the secret! How do we learn to be content? He tells us in verse 13 "I can do everything through him who gives me strength".

Now I'm feeling better! God wants me to learn to be content in all circumstances, but He doesn't expect me to do it in my own strength! Hallelujah! So this week let's memorize and begin learning to be content in all circumstances, but not through our strength.....through "Him who gives me strength"!

I promise more posts will be coming soon! Life has been crazy busy and writing has had to take a back seat! Thanks for understanding. Have a blog filled day!

2 comments:

Paula V said...

Wow, Krista. You don't know how much this spoke to me. I've been acknowledging that I am not content in my situation, in my circumstances. I have been envying other married couples. I have found I don't "feel" joy and peace because of my discontent and my desire to look ahead to what God will do for me. I realize all this and that I need to be content and I need to praise Him for Who He is and not what He will bring me.

I guess I can take this statement for myself to say God won't restore my broken, dead, non-existence, run through the divorce system marriage until I am content with my circumstances. Hmmm...much to ponder. Though, I've often wondered this without conscientously thinking about it. I know there are many factors into the resurrection of my dead marriage one of which is my beloved to follow God's plan and not his own but also there has been much work needed to be done and me and obviously more work...CONTENTMENT in Christ and my circumstances.

Thanks sweet friend.
Come visit me.
Paula

Paula V said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.