Monday, March 3, 2008

Young Hollywood

I am a celebrity news junkie. I love watching entertainment television like Entertainment Tonight, Extra and Access Hollywood. I devour celebrity magazines and I go to People.com at least once a day (truth be told, I go to people.com more than once a day). I know more useless celebrity facts than I should probably admit. I could win a celebrity trivia game hands down! At work recently, I had a meeting with a sales rep from one of the top celebrity magazines and we probed her for any scoop she might have, but as it turned out I was the one filling her in on the latest news! I will probably never forget Thanksgiving 2005.....the day I found out Jessica Simpson and Nick Lachey were splitting. I was so disappointed. I really hoped they would make it.

I'm not sure why I am so fascinated with the lives of the rich and famous. Maybe because I dreamed of being a famous entertainer myself. But whatever the reason, I enjoy knowing who's having babies, who just got engaged, who just split, and who is nominated for a grammy, oscar, golden globe or razzie. Unfortunately, most of the time the headlines are more about who just entered and then left rehab, who is going to jail for DUI, or who just died too young.

But yesterday I read a unusual headline. I was sitting at the Jiffy Lube, while my car was in for an oil change, just flipping through a celebrity magazine when I read the headline "Jonas Brothers Virginity Pledge". The popular boy band publicly declared their personal pledge to abstain from sex until marriage. The band of brothers all wear purity rings to symbolize their promise to themselves and to God that they will stay pure until marriage. Wow! You go boys! I love the Jonas Brothers! More importantly, my daughter loves the Jonas Brothers. I am so glad she has role models like the Jonas Brothers and Miley Cyrus. Miley Cyrus, aka Hannah Montana, is another great example. Miley and her entire family have shared many times about their faith in Christ. My daughter wants to be just like Hannah Montana!

Hollywood seems like a completely different world with its own set of rules. The lure of fame and fortune and all that world offers is strong. But even with all the riches and earthly pleasures, it appears many living in that world are desperately searching for something more. The Jonas Brothers and Miley Cyrus already have that something more. They are salt and light to a dark world. Tempation will be great though. Satan won't just sit by, he'll attack. I think we should start a prayer chain for these young people. Just think if people across the country started praying for young hollywood. This country's youth look to emulate celebrities from the way they dress to the way they live. I want more headlines like the one I read yesterday. Pray with me for Nick, Kevin, and Joe Jonas, Miley Cyrus and the rest of young hollywood. Never underestimate the power of prayer!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

You can add Julianne Hough from Dancing with the Stars to your list!