Sunday, March 23, 2008

The Special Gift

My mom and I share many things. We share a love for decorating, furniture shopping and entertaining. We both love country music, salads with blue cheese dressing and Pepsi products. We both have fair skin and freckles. We often share the JC Penney's catalog and coupons to Bed Bath and Beyond. But the best thing we share is our birthday.

I think it is amazing that I was born on my mom's birthday; not the day before and not the day after, but on her actual birthday. And since the day I was born, it has been and will forever be "our" birthday.

I suppose some might say that she was given a gift on her birthday so many years ago, but I would say, that it was me who was given the gift. It is so much more than a birthday. It is a day that connects us in a way that is indescribable. I thank God for my mom and for the gift of this special day we share! Happy Birthday mom!

1 comment:

Jo Van said...

Dear Krista,

Like most of your writings, this post brought tears to my eyes. I feel God gave me a double blessing when you were born on my birthday.

We have many happy memories of the birthday we share. Just to name a few -- your third birthday was your first big party with lots of other kids. You wore the most beautiful little dress and we have a wonderful picture of you sitting on the table with the cake and decorations all around you. Of course, you had many similar parties to this one but for some reason, this one stands out in my mind.

I also remember your 16th birthday party with kids from church and school and another birthday {probably your 14th or 15th) when we went to GoJo's and we invited Don J {your big crush at the time}.

Then, as adults, we celebrated one birthday a few years ago by going to the CMA music festival. It was a wonderful time but we stayed drenched most of the time since it rained almost every day. On my 60th birthday, you and the rest of the family really surprised me with a surprise party.

"Our" birthday has always been very special to me. God truly blessed us with the gift that keeps on giving.
Love, Mom