Friday, June 5, 2009

The No "P" Diet

Today I am wearing a skirt. Several people have asked if I have a client meeting today. Nope. No client meeting today. I am wearing a skirt, because I couldn't find any clean pants that fit! Good grief! I was standing in my closet looking around at all the choices and realized I really only have a few pairs of pants that fit. Over the last several years a few pounds have somehow crept their way onto my body. I'm still not totally convinced some closet gremlins didn't alter my pants! But whatever the reason, unlike Cinderella, they just don't FIT!

During my drive into work I was thinking about the extra pounds and the ill-fitted pants as well as lying by the pool this summer. As I took a drink of my pop, a funny thought entered my head. There were a lot of "P's" in that thought. Maybe I should start the no "P" diet. I would just eliminate any food and drink that could be classified to start with the letter "P". That would include pop, pizza, pasta, pretzels, pastries, pistachios, popsicles and much more. Yes, there are some good foods that start with the letter "P" such as pineapple, pears, plums and peaches. But in the name of a fun diet idea, I could get my fruit from other letters of the alphabet such as a-pples, g-rapes, r-aspberries, and b-ananas.

I have a trip to Las Vegas coming up at the beginning of August...plenty of time to lose a little weight and get in better shape. Last year on this annual business trip I vowed to myself that next year I wouldn't be as self-conscious by the pool side. Nothing like being by the pool with a bunch of co-workers! I have tried and failed at just plain old dieting. I get bored and I feel deprived. So, maybe putting a little pizazz into my diet will do the trick. I'm going to try it for a few weeks and see what happens.

Please don't misunderstand. There is no scientific data that shows any significance to eating or eliminating foods that begin with the letter "P". I am a firm believer in a balanced healthy diet combined with exercise and I usually dismiss all the fad diets. But adding a little harmless fun might be helpful. I'll let you know how it goes. I plan to start tomorrow...dinner tonight is pork chops and potatoes!

3 comments:

Dave Van said...

Tonight we're having porridge
made with provalone cheese
and a peanut butter pizza
with a pickle on the side
and prune and pepper pudding
and a pepperoni pie. That's the Penelope Van Pickle diet.

Paula V said...

Did you notice three of the fruits you listed as "p" subsitutes actually had several ps within them. How ironic.

Hey, flavorite lite pops are really good and very little sugar carbs. I can only find them at Walmart in a 16pack but they have like 5 cals for two sticks. You know the ones...you have to freeze them...they are in plastic.

Paula V said...

I was so hoping when I read your comment in my email that you had your blogger account set up to reveal your email. I wanted to hit reply and email you directly so bad. I had so forgotten about you being single and that hole that I believe lives in 99% of single people as we long for our mates. I would like to send you a devotional that I sent to two of my single friends. Just reply to this comment in your email and give me your email...that way it will keep your privacy.

Even though I'm single, I find myself in such a hard single spot as I'm longing for the mate God already blessed me with but that mate (Christian at that) has been deceived by satan and left our covenant marriage. It's a hope that at times seems even harder than "blindly" desiring sometimes. Sometimes I long to never know that pain and know my old pain of singleness for six years. At least with that loneliness and pain I didn't have the deep, deep pain of abandonment by a love I know is meant to be between two Christian people. It's a very hard road and a very hard call to answer and believe 100% all the time. I wonder if I'll ever be free of the pain that flows so deep in my heart from loving a man who chooses nothing to do with me and blindly disobeying God without him even knowing it.

Enough about that.
Email me.
Paula